2 Hingham teens sickened after eating marijuana candy

HINGHAM, MA (WHDH) - Two Hingham teens were taken to the hospital after they told police they had eaten candy laced with marijuana.

Police said an 18-year-old called 911 on July 21 requesting help for a 17-year-old having “an allergic reaction to food.” The 18-year-old told the 911 dispatcher they had both consumed marijuana-laced candy.

Responding officers said they found the two teens, a boy and girl, both visibly under the influence. Both were conscious and able to speak and they were taken to South Shore Hospital in Weymouth for treatment.

The candy is laced with THC, an active ingredient in marijuana. They can be purchased legally in Massachusetts with a medical marijuana card but police said the teens did not have one. Police believe the teens overdosed as THC takes longer to be absorbed into the bloodstream when consumed rather than smoked.

(Copyright (c) 2017 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)