Couple hospitalized after fire breaks out in their Fairhaven home

Two people were hospitalized after a fire broke out in a Fairhaven home late Monday night.

According to the fire chief, a husband and wife needed to be treated for burns and smoke inhalation.

The first started just before 11 p.m. in the basement.

There were animals trapped in the building, and firefighters were able to rescue a dog and a cat who they gave oxygen to outside.

They say that a propane tank in the basement likely played a role in the fire.

(Copyright (c) 2016 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)