Dartmouth students who caused dormitory fire seek 2nd chance

HANOVER, N.H. (AP) — Two former Dartmouth College students say they’ve been expelled for causing a dorm fire last month, and they’re asking for a second chance.

Sebastian Lim and Daniel Ro say in an online petition they want to “publicly apologize” for the Oct. 1 fire. Fire officials said an unattended hibachi-style grill on the roof sparked it. Dartmouth had said that using the grill was against college policy.

The dorm’s 70 residents escaped, but needed new housing. A total of more than 300 were made to leave a cluster of dorms.

Ro and Lim said their expulsion is based, in part, on the grounds that they pose a threat to the community. They said they made a mistake.

College spokeswoman Diana Lawrence said that under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, she couldn’t comment on Dartmouth’s disciplinary process.

(Copyright (c) 2016 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus