Discarded fireworks cause house fire

SCARBOROUGH, Maine (AP) — Fire officials in Maine say improperly discarded fireworks caused a house fire.

The Portland Press Herald reports the house fire started early Wednesday morning after a neighborhood firework show in Scarborough. Fire Chief Michael Thurlow say a bin containing firework remnants stored in a plastic bag caught fire next to a home.

Fire crews responded to the fire around 2:30 a.m. and were able to contain the blaze.

No injuries were reported.

Thurlow says many manufacturers recommend consumers soak fireworks in water before disposing of them.

(Copyright (c) 2017 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)