Ex-Boston Bruins Bourque apologizes in drunken driving case

LAWRENCE, Mass. (AP) — Former Boston Bruins star Ray Bourque (bork) has apologized to his family, friends and fans for driving drunk last month.

Bourque apologized in a statement Wednesday after admitting in Lawrence District Court that prosecutors have enough evidence to convict him of driving under the influence when he rear-ended a minivan in Andover on June 24.

Bourque’s “admission to sufficient facts” plea will resolve the case without a guilty finding if he successfully completes a year of probation. A judge also suspended Bourque’s driver’s license for 45 days.

Police said Bourque had a blood-alcohol level of 0.249, three times the state’s legal limit to drive. In his statement, Bourque said he takes full responsibility for his actions.

Bourque played for the Bruins for 21 seasons, then helped the Colorado Avalanche win a Stanley Cup in 2001 before retiring.

Bourque released a statement Wednesday afternoon:

“I am willingly complying with every directive issued by the court. I take full responsibility for my actions and I will not seek nor take any short cuts. I want to apologize to the young people that I bumped in the vehicle ahead of me. I am thankful that no one was hurt. I have always lived my life dedicated to doing the best I can for myself and those around me. I have always strived for perfection but as we all know, my actions a few weeks ago were far from perfect. I know that I have let my family, friends, fans, the community and myself down. I apologize to all of you. I am sorry.

I have begun to take the steps necessary to live my life in a better way. As always, I will learn from my mistakes and I will continue to focus on the positive impact I can have in the community and for those around me.” – Ray Bourque

(Copyright (c) 2017 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)