Students experienced an explosive scare on a school bus in Northbridge when a vape pen sparked a fire in someone’s backpack.
The incident took place on Kelly Road around 7:15 a.m. Wednesday as students headed to Blackstone Valley Regional Vocational Technical High School in Upton.
Charred remains were the only thing left of a high school student’s backpack after it burst into flames.
Northbridge Police said a vape battery exploded inside a student’s backpack which sparked the blaze.
The bus driver extinguished the flames with a fire extinguisher and had students evacuate the bus, according to authorities.
A second bus came to pick up the students, a homeowner in the area told 7News.
No injuries were reported.
(Copyright (c) 2017 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)