Girl, 12, saves family from carbon monoxide poisoning

CRANSTON, R.I. (WHDH) — A close call for family in Cranston Rhode Island.

A 12-year-old girl wakes up to find her parents passed out and one of her three sisters with a pounding headache.

She knew something was wrong and called for help and firefighters are saying her call saved her family's life.

Fire officials said a family of six, two adults and four children, had to be taken to the hospital after suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.

"Came here, saw the lights and I looked through the window and that's when I saw everybody there, said oh my God what happened, I thought it was a fire,” said Elcida Garcia, neighbor.

Garcia said it's a couple with four daughters who lives at the home. Fire officials said it was a 12-year-old girl who woke up and called for help after she realized something was wrong.

"She went and saw her mom and her father was on the floor and her father was on the floor,” said Garcia.

Fire officials said a blocked chimney appears to be the cause of the carbon monoxide build up and that the home did not have working CO detectors, an important lesson to be learned.

Instead it was an alert and quick thinking 12-year-old, who, in this case, made all the difference.

"Everyone was saying thank you, because she saved the family,” said Garcia.

Fire officials recommend checking your carbon monoxide detector every six months and replacing the batteries every year.


blog comments powered by Disqus