Heat lamp caused fire that killed 7,000 baby turkeys

 

LANCASTER, Mass. (AP) — The state fire marshal says a heat lamp sparked last month’s fire that killed more than 7,000 baby turkeys in Lancaster.

State Fire Marshal Peter Ostroskey and Lancaster Fire Chief Michael Hanson say the June 30 fire at Bob’s Turkey Farm was caused by either a mechanical or an electrical failure of a newly installed propane-fueled heat lamp. .

Nobody was hurt in the fire, but the farm said the blaze would affect the ability to fill its 8,000 Thanksgiving orders.

The turkeys, called poults, ranged in age from 1 day to 3 weeks old.

(Copyright (c) 2017 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)