Suspect captured following standoff in Rehoboth

REHOBOTH, MA (WHDH) - Police have captured a suspect following a nearly five-hour long standoff in Rehoboth.

According to police officials, the man, identified by police as Benjamin Kimball, 38 of North Attleboro, threatened to blow up a Cumberland Farms on Route 44 just before 7 a.m.

The store is on 232 Winthrop Street, which is the intersection of Route 44 and Route 118.

There was a heavy police presence on the scene, as police blocked off roads in the area.

Officials said there were no hostages.

A Cumberland Farms spokesperson addressed the incident in a statement:

Just before 7am this morning, we were notified that an individual threatened to harm a store employee at the Cumberland Farms store at 232 Winthrop Street in Rehobeth, Mass. All employees and customers have been safely evacuated from the store, and the gas pumps have been turned off. To the best of our knowledge, there is no one on site with the exception of the suspect and the police. We will provide more information as soon as it becomes available.

It is unclear what Kimball said to store employees or what his demands were.

Officials were on the scene for several hours.

At one point, Kimball could be seen exiting a vehicle in an attempt to get away.

At one point, police said Kimball grabbed one of the hoses at the gas station, threatening to blow up the station. Fortunately, the gas pumps had already been turned off.

Just before noon, officers used a flash grenade and beanbag gun and were then able to take him into custody after he rammed his car into armored vehicles.

Kimball was taken away in an ambulance to Morton Hospital.

No charges have yet been filed.

Anthony Azar, Superintendent of Rehoboth Schools, released a statement about the incident Thursday afternoon:

The unfortunate incident at Cumberland Farms today in Rehoboth clearly illustrates the importance of our school district working together with our local law enforcement agencies and our bus transportation provider to keep our students safe.  While events were unfolding at the intersection of routes 44 and 118 this morning, the school district was monitoring the safe arrival of our students and staff.  The impact to the morning commute was substantial, however in spite of this delay we are grateful to our students, staff and parents for handling the delay in a very seamless manner. Finally, we would like to thank our local law enforcement folks and various Town of Rehoboth Departments for their support in making our schools safe everyday, but especially with what transpired today in Rehoboth.

Stay with 7News as this story develops.




(Copyright (c) 2016 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)


blog comments powered by Disqus