Puppy in Ohio given Narcan after eating heroin

DAYTON, OHIO (CNN) — A baby pitbull in Ohio named Diesel accidentally ingested heroin and needed to be given Narcan to save its life.

The animal was inspected by a vet, who administered naloxone, or Narcan, which is the same medication given to humans to block the effects of the opiate.

An investigation into the incident showed it wasn’t the dog’s first exposure to heroin.

Diesel’s owners are being charged with cruelty to animals and are scheduled to appear in a preliminary court hearing on Dec. 27.

(Copyright (c) 2017 CNN. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)