MALDEN (WHDH) - Several manholes exploded in Malden on Sunday afternoon, after flames broke out underground.
Cell phone video captured the fire and smoke pouring out from manholes in Malden.
Police closed the street as firefighters secured the scene.
According to National Grid, high voltage wires underground malfunctioned causing a fire.
Despite some rattled nerves, no injuries were reported.
Crews are in the process of cleaning and replacing the underground wires. Officials say it’s a lengthy process.
Stay with 7News as the story develops.
(Copyright (c) 2017 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)