Student hospitalized after mercury spill in Brown dorm

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — A Brown University student has been taken to a hospital and one floor of a dormitory was evacuated after a mercury spill on campus.

A university spokesman says an 18-year-old student called campus public safety officials at about 10:30 p.m. Monday to report that she had broken a thermometer and a small amount of mercury had leaked out onto the floor. The student reported a burning sensation on her hand.

A state Department of Emergency Management hazardous materials unit responded and evacuated the fourth floor of Camplin Hall.

Students were allowed back in their rooms at about 2 a.m. Tuesday.

The condition of the student taken to the hospital was not immediately known, but officials say it was precautionary.

(Copyright (c) 2016 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus