Chef Kristen Thibeault
Crispy Faux Duck + Truffled Mushrooms + Celeriac Apple Puree
2 cans seitan (vegetarian mock duck)
Chinese 5 spice powder
3 T. vegetable oil
1 celeriac, peeled and medium diced
2 russet potato, peeled and medium diced
1 green apples, peeled, cored and medium diced, skins reserved fresh thyme
3 cups unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 cup Earth Balance (butter replacement)
1 lb. cleaned and trimmed wild mushrooms
2 T. all-purpose flour
½ cup Calvados or brandy
1 cup mushroom or vegetable stock
1 T. Asian dark mushroom soy
Black truffle oil
Salt and white pepper to taste
1. Open canned seitan and drain. Dust with 5 spice powder and white pepper
2. Heat the vegetable oil in a large sauté pan over medium high heat and add seitan. Sauté until browned, about 2 min on each side.
3. Remove to a paper towel-lined tray to drain excess oil. Set aside and keep warm.
4. Place peeled and diced celeriac, green apple, potato, salt in medium saucepan and add enough coconut milk to barely cover. Bring to a simmer and cook until tender. Strain, reserving cooking liquid.
5. Place vegetables and Earth balance in blender. Puree to smooth consistency, using enough reserved cooking liquid to achieve a smooth puree.
6. Season to taste with white pepper and salt. Keep warm until service.
7. Heat 3 T. Earth Balance in a large sauté pan and add the wild mushrooms. Sauté until well browned.
8. Add flour and stir constantly until flour is lightly browned.
9. Deglaze with Calvados and flame alcohol off. Add 16 oz. of the mushroom or vegetable stock as well as the soy. Simmer gently for 10 minutes, until flavor has fully developed.
10. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm. Add black truffle oil just before serving and adjust consistency if necessary using reserved stock.