For this Valentine’s Day we’re decorating 3 different kinds of cupcakes for the ones you love; hearts, flowers and penguins.
Yellow Cake Recipe (modified for home use) Makes two 9” cake layers or three 8” cake layers
4 large eggs
½ cup whole milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 ¾ cups cake flour
1 ½ cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon salt
16 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oven rack should be adjusted to lower-middle position.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk and vanilla.
3. In a mixer on low speed, mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt until combined. Continue to mix while adding butter, one tablespoon at a time.
4. Increase speed to medium-high and slowly add wet ingredients. Beat until light and fluffy, approximately one minute.
5. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake until tops are golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, approximately 20 minutes for 9” pan and 25 minutes for 9” pan.
6. Cool on wire racks.
Wilton Buttercream Recipe
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine softened
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
2 tablespoons milk
1. In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use.
2. For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.
For thin (spreading) consistency icing, add 2 tablespoons light corn syrup, water or milk.
For Pure White Icing (stiff consistency), omit butter; substitute an additional 1/2 cup shortening for butter and add 1/2 teaspoon No-Color Butter Flavor. Add up to 4 tablespoons light corn syrup, water or milk to thin for icing cakes.