Suspect in South End assault held on $500K bail

SOUTH BOSTON (WHDH) — A man accused of sexually assaulting a woman in the South End appeared in court Wednesday and has been held on $500,000 bail.

Boston Police Commissioner William Evans said the suspect is Eduardo Rodriguez, 31, of Boston.

Evans said Rodriguez had just been released in December after serving time for a 2007 rape. In that case, he took a high school senior to a secluded area and raped her.

A woman told Boston Police Rodriguez was riding a blue bicycle when he approached her at around 1 a.m. Monday morning near Greenwich Park and Claremont Street. The woman said he told her he had a knife and forced her to walk to Carter Playground, where he sexually assaulted her. He then ran towards Davenport Street.

Rodriguez had been given a GPS bracelet upon his release and Evans said Rodriguez was wearing it at the time of the sexual assault because it put him at the scene of the crime. After Rodriguez fled the scene, police believe he cut the bracelet off.

“We were looking for this individual for the last 16 hours and we’re glad we have him in custody because he’s a dangerous individual who obviously committed an atrocious act on a young female in the city,” said Evans at a press conference Tuesday.

Rodriguez’s bicycle was located Tuesday afternoon and he was arrested a short time after.

He faced several charges, including aggravated rape and aggravated kidnapping.

 

 

(Copyright (c) 2017 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)