Tonight we have a recipe from Portsmouth, New Hampshire where the team at Moxy is showing us how to make a tasty short rib marmalade in What’s Cooking.
- Beef Shortrib, boneless 1 lb.
- Beef, Chicken, Veal Stock or Broth 1 quart
- Canola Oil 2oz
- White Onion, peeled and rough chopped 1ea
- Carrot, peeled and rough chopped 1ea
- Fresh Baguette 1ea
- Red Onion 1ea
- Sugar 1cup
- Red Wine Vinegar 1cup
- Water 2cups
- Blue Cheese 4oz crumbled
- Chives, minced 1/2bunch
- To cook the beef shortrib: Have a pan that will snuggly fit the beef short rib with just enough room left for the carrot, onion and stock getting hot on a high flame. Add the canola oil to the pan and get it hot enough that it lets off a gentle white smoke. Season the short rib with salt and pepper, carefully place in the hot pan. Allow to brown nicely and flip to be able to achieve nice browning on all sides. At this point add the carrot, onion, and stock. Bring to a boil and gently simmer for about 3.5 hours. The meat should be tender and easily pulled apart. Gently pull the meat apart. This can be done a few days in advance if desired.
- For the pickled red onions: In a small sauce pot combine the water, red wine vinegar, and sugar. Bring to a boil. Peel the red onion and slice as thinly as you can. Place the red onion in a small container just big enough to hold it with a little room left. Pour the hot pickling liquid over and let stand at least 1 hr, but can also hold in cooler for up to a week.
- To finish the short rib: Place the pulled meat in a small pot, add the reserved cooking liquid, some red wine vinegar, salt, black pepper and cook until liquid is nearly evaporated and meat takes on a moist yet not overly wet consistency. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- Slice the baguette slightly on the bias and about a ¼” thick. Brush will oil and season with salt and pepper, grill until nicely golden brown on both sides.
- To assemble: Add a small spoonful of the short rib marmalade on each pieces of bread, probably about 4. Add a few crumbles of blue cheese and a small pinch of pickled red onion with a little minced chive on top. Enjoy!