HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Two men who are suspects in multiple shootings were charged Wednesday in the murder of a 17-year-old last year, one of a series of retaliatory gunfights between teenagers in Hartford.
Diondre Johnson, 19, and Jaden Davis, 20, are accused of shooting out of a car into a crowd of people in Hartford’s north end Sept. 1, injuring four and killing 17-year-old Usher Hanns.
Hartford police said both Johnson and Davis are charged with murder, conspiracy to commit murder, and the possession of a pistol without a permit. They are being held on $1 million bond.
Police investigated the shooting for eight months, and said they plan to charge a third person soon. Johnson and Davis were served while in the custody of the Hartford Department of Corrections, where they have been held since October on unrelated felony charges.
The Hartford Courant reports Johnson and Davis are suspects in at least 11 other shootings, in addition to this case. The killing of Hanns was part of a series of retaliatory shootings between teenagers that included gunfights between cars, one of which killed a 71-year-old woman in October.
An email seeking comment was sent to an attorney for Davis. No information was available on an attorney representing Johnson.
(Copyright (c) 2020 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)