Carbon monoxide leak forces evacuation of Beverly City Hall

BEVERLY, MASS. (WHDH) - Beverly City Hall was evacuated Tuesday morning because of a carbon monoxide leak.

City officials were meeting inside the building when alarms went off around 7:45 a.m.

Firefighters responded to the scene and immediately evacuated the building.

Investigators say the leak was caused by an underground electrical fire. Smoke could be seen billowing from a nearby manhole.

The police department and other local buisnesses also had to be evacuated.

City hall is expected to open again Tuesday afternoon.

No injuries were reported.

(Copyright (c) 2019 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)