Boiler gas leak leads to evacuation of elementary school in Lawrence

LAWRENCE, MASS. (WHDH) - A boiler gas leak led to the evacuation of an elementary school in Lawrence Thursday morning.

Staff at Parthum Elementary School, along with employees at Arlington Middle School and Oliver Partnership School, reported smelling gas, which prompted an investigation.

Officials evacuated Parthum and determined that a rooftop unit and boiler had a gas leak, Mayor Dan Rivera said.

Students and faculty members have been temporarily moved to Lawrence High School, according to Lawrence police.

Multiple agencies, including Columbia Gas, responded to the scene.

No leak was reportedly found at Arlington, where crews were preparing boilers for the winter.

Rivera says those inside the school may have smelled some gas as crews cleared the system.

Air at Oliver was also tested and no gas was reportedly found.

Rivera stressed that these incidents are not related to the gas disaster of Sept. 13, which led to dozens of explosions and fires in the Merrimack Valley.

This is a developing story; stay with 7News on air and online for the latest updates.