BARNSTABLE, MASS. (WHDH) - A Centerville woman was arrested on charges related to the murder of a 33-year-old man in Barnstable Wednesday.

Juscelene Guedes, 29, of Centerville, was arrested and charged with murder and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, to wit: knife. She was arraigned Thursday in Barnstable District Court.

Barnstable Police received report of a crash near a TD Bank on Route 28 in Hyannis just before 7:30 p.m.

“One of the occupants had an apparent stab wound to his chest,” Cape & Islands District Attorney Robert J. Galibois’ office said in a statement. “The victim was transported to CCH in critical condition. At 8:36 p.m., the victim was determined no longer viable for resuscitation.”

Prosecutors said that on Wednesday night, Guedes’ ex-boyfriend, Renato Chaves, went over to Guedes’ home in Centerville. Police said they found security video showing him going inside and then coming out seven minutes later with blood on his chest.

Prosecutor Tara Cappola-Meredith said Guedes stabbed Chaves in the heart with a kitchen knife.

A witness told police he took Chaves in his car to the hospital and that Guedes jumped in the back seat with them. On the way to get medical help, the car crashed into another car and Guedes is accused of running from that scene.

A witness pointed Guedes out to police and she was arrested.

Chaves was taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead, police said. Officials said he was originally from Brazil and was working on the Cape to send money home.

Kelly Borsatto, Chaves’ boss at the Brazilian Grill in Hyannis, said she wants Chaves to be remembered as a hardworking man.

“For the nice person, nice man that he was, the hard worker that he was,” Borsatto said. “Great person, always ready and willing to help other people, wanting to help out the community, other Brazilians he worked with — always gave his best.”

Larry Tipton, Guedes’ defense attorney, said she and her ex-boyfriend had a history of domestic violence and that she handed her phone over to police, saying there were threats on her phone proving the abuse.

“Seven minutes it took for this man to come to her apartment where he does not live, bang on the door, enter the apartment then a stabbing took place. A stabbing is the result of this man making demands on this young lady,” Tipton said in court.

Guedes was ordered held without bail and it came out in court that she is in the United States illegally.

This is a developing story; stay with 7NEWS on-air and online for the latest updates.

(Copyright (c) 2024 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox