READING, Mass. (WHDH) — Sky7 HD was live over Barrows Elementary School in Reading early Tuesday afternoon where students were evacuated due to high carbon monoxide levels.

About 40 staff members and about 350 students were taken to a nearby school, Austin Prep. No children or staff members were sick.

Superintendent John Doherty said at 11:00 a.m. one of the carbon monoxide sensors went off in the school. They didn't want to take any risks and immediately began evacuating the students.

The fire department and emergency officials arrived at the school, took a reading and found very high levels of carbon monoxide and determined there was some sort of leak. They hadn’t yet determined the source of the leak.

Everyone was evacuated except for a few school officials and emergency responders. The school is currently being inspected.

Officials want to make sure the leak is completely stopped and the levels return to normal before they make a decision on whether or not to have school on Wednesday.

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox