KINGSTON, MASS. (WHDH) - A house in Kingston caught on fire when the battery charging a hoverboard exploded on Saturday night.
Firefighters responding to a reported fire at 131 Country Club Way around 7:30 p.m. learned that the residents had put out the flames using a fire extinguisher, Kingston Fire Chief Mark R. Douglass and State Fire Marshal Peter J. Ostroskey said in a joint press release.
Investigators determined that a hoverboard charging on the third floor of the single-family home ignited the fire when the battery pack of the newly purchased charging cord exploded.
There were no reported injuries and the flames left behind about $10,000 worth of damage.
This is the second fire in about a month caused by a charging hoverboard in Massachusetts.
In April, a similar incident happened in Andover.
Douglass reminded hoverboard owners to only use chargers that either come with the product or with the manufacturer.
“Only charge a hoverboard when you are there to watch it and do not charge unattended, especially overnight,” he added. “Overcharging can cause a fire.”
Ostroskey continued that it is important to purchase a hoverboard that has been approved by an independent testing laboratory by going to the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s website.
(Copyright (c) 2020 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)