GREENFIELD, Mass. (AP) — Authorities say carbon monoxide poisoning is to blame for the deaths last winter of two people found in a tent in an area known as a campsite for homeless people.
The Recorder of Greenfield reports Monday that according to their death certificates, 50-year-old Kathleen Grady and 51-year-old Clayton Wheeler Jr. died of carbon monoxide poisoning, with hypothermia a possible contributor in Grady’s death.
They were found Jan. 21 in a wooded area behind a fast food restaurant in Greenfield.
Authorities say the couple used a space heater to keep warm. In addition, overnight temperatures in the area dropped to the single digits, with the wind chill making it feel below zero.
The cause of death was released by the state medical examiner’s office and provided to the City Clerk’s Office.
(Copyright (c) 2020 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)