HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Connecticut officials on Wednesday announced the state’s first death of a patient from the coronavirus.
Gov. Ned Lamont said the patient, a man in his 80s, had recently been admitted to Danbury Hospital. He had been a resident of an assisted living facility in Ridgefield.
“It is with sadness today that we are confirming the first death of a person in Connecticut due to severe complications from COVID-19,” Lamont said.
“We know that people of an advanced age and in certain conditions are among the most at risk of this disease,” Lamont said. “However I urge everyone in Connecticut — regardless of age or condition — to take an active role in doing their part to reduce the spread of this virus throughout our communities so we can protect one another.”
COVID-19, the illness caused by the virus, has stricken thousands across the globe but usually presents only mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough. For older adults and people with other health problems, it can cause complications or sometimes death. Most people recover.
Connecticut officials have reported a total of 68 cases of the virus statewide.
(Copyright (c) 2020 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)