LAWRENCE, MASS. (WHDH) - A fire at the Bruce School in Lawrence Monday morning left the building uninhabitable.
Crews first responded to the fire sometime after 8 a.m. Monday. The fire started in a science room on the second floor of the school and may have extended to the roof of the building.
“I was really nervous, I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t know if my sister was safe or anything,” said student Melanie Castro.
There were no students in the room when the fire started, according to officials.
The school, located on 135 Butler St. in Lawrence, teaches children in grades 3 through 8. A total of 525 students were evacuated and nobody was hurt. Students have been relocated to the Guilmette Middle School in the meantime, though some parents picked their children up early.
Fire crews put out the flames quickly. Sources told 7News the cause of the fire is not believed to be suspicious and an electrical problem may be to blame.
Crews could be seen boarding up the broken windows of the classroom where the fire started. Officials do not know when the school will reopen.
(Copyright (c) 2019 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)