CAMBRIDGE, MASS. (WHDH) - Cambridge firefighters extinguished a two-alarm fire that broke out at a packed Harvard Square restaurant Sunday afternoon.
Crews responding to a report of an odor of smoke in the Border Cafe on Church Street around 1 p.m. found smoke billowing out of the roof, fire officials said.
“Just a ton of smoke, up into the sky,” said witness Ed Chung.
Fire Chief Gerry Mahoney said crews discovered a fire in the ventilation exhaust system from the kitchen, with flames traveling up the ventilation shaft up towards the roof. The restaurant was packed with customers, but Mahoney said everyone made it out safely and no one was hurt
“The firefighters did a really good job, kinda of an aggressive attack,” Mahoney said. “These grease foods very very tricky. There’s requirements. They have to be serviced, maintained and inspected periodically. To the best of our knowledge this system was up to date with its inspections…they’ll look into the records.”
Mahoney said the building, which is owned by Harvard University, is not a total loss and while it has water damage inside, should re-open soon.
(Copyright (c) 2020 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)