PEABODY, MASS. (WHDH) - Several people were displaced from their apartments in Peabody on Christmas night after a fire tore through a residential building.

Crews were called to a three-story apartment building on Washington Street Sunday night after reports that a person was trapped on the third floor.

Firefighters rescued the trapped person from flames, and Peabody Fire officials said in the early morning hours that they believe everyone managed to get out safely.

The apartment building is located near the city’s downtown area at the intersection of Foster Street, Washington Street and Swampscott Avenue.

Officials are investigating what sparked the flames.

Stay with 7News for updates.

(Copyright (c) 2024 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox