Pet owners know that dogs will eat just about anything they can get their paws on.

A Denver, Colorado woman learned that lesson the hard way after she says her dog ate a marijuana edible at a local park.

On Tuesday evening, Catherine Edwards took Bodhi for a walk around Cheesman Park. Toward the end of their loop, the five-year-old, 90-pound Weimaraner got into something.

"I didn’t think anything of it. He’s always chewing on sticks and other things," said Edwards.

She didn’t realize until hours later that Bodhi had eaten a marijuana edible that was left in the grass at the park.

"His behavior was really scary. He was twitching. He lost function in his legs. He lost all control of his bowels," said Edwards, "I thought he was going to die."

(Copyright 2015 NBC News Channel. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.) 

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox