BOSTON (WHDH/AP) — Thirty-three people taken into custody in Boston during a counterprotest of a small, conservative “free speech rally” over the weekend have already or will appear this week.
The arrests — mostly for disorderly conduct — were made Saturday as an estimated 40,000 counterprotesters gathered in and around Boston Common. Suffolk District Attorney Daniel Conley says a “small number of people went beyond the bounds of safe behavior,” during the events on the Common.
Twelve suspects were arraigned Monday, but the others will appear Tuesday and Wednesday in Boston Municipal Court.
Among those who appeared in court were Nathan Mizrahi, of New York, who was arraigned on gun charges. Somerville resident Mohammed Eldeb was arraigned on assault and battery charges. Officials say multiple warrants had been issued for his arrest. Both men were ordered held on bail.
Otherwise, Conley says marchers, protest organizers and police deserve praise for keeping the city peaceful and safe. He says Boston sent a strong message against bigotry and racism.
Organizers of the free speech rally say the event was mischaracterized and that it accomplished its purpose.
(Copyright (c) 2018 Sunbeam Television. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)