E-cigarette battery appears to explode in Kentucky man’s pocket

An e-cigarette battery exploded inside a man’s pocket in Kentucky, causing flames to shoot out of his pants as he desperately tried to put them out.

The man said an e-cigarette battery exploded in his pocket while he was at a register inside a Kentucky convenience store over the weekend.

The confused clerk could not quite register what he was seeing.

“I was shocked,” Manoj Kumar said. “I was like, ‘What was that? You have a bomb in your pocket?’ I was like, ‘That! You carry your bomb in your pocket?’ I was totally shocked and just like this, my hands were on my head.”

The man said he suffered second-degree burns on his leg, but is able to walk.

(Copyright 2016 NBC News Channel. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)