Festival goes forward with added police presence

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) — New Haven’s annual Puerto Rican festival is going forward with an added police presence after an online threat against it was posted earlier this week.

Police chief Otoniel Reyes says their investigation is continuing, but they have not identified any credible threat to the fourth annual event.

The threat was made Wednesday by someone responding to a television station’s Facebook post about the festival, which runs Saturday from 1 p.m. to 9 p.m. on the New Haven green. The comment said the festival was an example of why “we need 30 round magazines.”

Streets around the green will be closed during the festival, which will include music, food and other activities celebrating Puerto Rican heritage.

(Copyright (c) 2019 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)