MELROSE, MASS. (WHDH) - Unattended cooking was the cause behind a house fire that displaced a family, Melrose fire officials told 7NEWS.

According to the Melrose Fire Department, firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire but a pet cat died of smoke inhalation.

The family and their two dogs were forced to spend the night in different accommodations.

(Copyright (c) 2022 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox