A quick-thinking firefighter noticed something was not right at his children’s daycare and jumped into action, saving everyone inside from carbon monoxide.

Medway Fire Lt. Matt Anzivino said he was walking his two daughters to daycare at a Medway church when he noticed a strange smell in the building. He decided to look around and went into the basement to investigate.

"Most of the basement was pretty clear but when I opened to where the furnace was in, the smell was the same as it was upstairs," said Anzivino.

Anzivino told the daycare director and around a half dozen others to evacuate. He then radioed the fire department.

Firefighters who responded said the carbon monoxide in the building could have reached deadly levels in two to three hours. 

The church had carbon monoxide detectors but they did not go off initially. While carbon monoxide is odorless, the smell Anzivino found turned out to be burning oil coming from the broken furnace.

"I’m glad I was there. My children were there. Other people’s children were there," said Anzivino.

Firefighters will return to the daycare Tuesday to determine if it’s safe to reopen.

(Copyright (c) 2016 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox