BOSTON (WHDH) - The Massachusetts Department of Health and the Boston Public Health Commission have confirmed the first case of measles in Massachusetts this year.
The case involves an individual with an unknown vaccination history who recently visited Massachusetts from Europe.
According to health officials, there have been potential exposures over the past week in the greater Boston area from May 1 to May 8.
Officials recommend those who were potentially exposed all their healthcare providers with questions or concerns.
Boston residents and exposed people who work or attend school in Boston should call officials at 617-534-5611.
Officials said early symptoms of measles occur 10 days to two weeks after exposure and may resemble a cold with a fever, cough, runny nose and red eyes, but a rash occurs on the skins two to four days after the initial symptoms develop.
The rash usually appears first on the head and moves downward. It typically lasts a few days and then disappears.
People with measles may be contagious for up to four days before and for four days after the day the rash appears.
Those who think they may have been exposed should confirm they have had two doses of MMR vaccine.
Potential exposure points are listed below:
Sunday, May 1, 2016
- TRANSPORTATION: MBTA #1 Bus – Newbury St., Boston to Harvard Square
- Harvard Square: Shopped at J August, 1320 Massachusetts Ave.
- Cambridgeside Galleria
- Ate at Panda Express in the food court
- Shopped at Victoria’s Secret, Gap, Abercrombie & Fitch, PacSun
- TRANSPORTATION: Back to Boston via MBTA (Green line)
Monday, May 2, 2016
- Wrentham Village Outlet
- Ate at Unos Chicago Grill (at Wrentham)
- Shopped at Nike, Gap, Polo Ralph Lauren, and others
Tuesday, May 3, 2016
- Rockport Village, Rockport, MA
- The Pewter Shop
- Sea Star Gift Shop
- Brothers’ Brew Coffee Shop
Wednesday, May 4, 2016
Wednesday Afternoon (Approximately 1:30 – 4:30 PM)
- Star Market at the Prudential (53 Huntington Ave. Boston, Massachusetts 02199)
- Nespresso Boutique Bar (7 Newbury St, Boston, MA 02116)
Thursday, May 5 – Sunday May 8, 2016 – Massachusetts General Hospital
(Copyright (c) 2020 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)