A delicious staple of the fall season could make you sick if stored improperly.
Last year, pre-packaged caramel apples contaminated with listeria got 35 people sick and left seven people dead. Researchers found that caramel apples stored at room temperature had 1,000 times more growth of the bacteria than caramel apples that were refrigerated.
Doctors said caramel apples should be refrigerated or eaten fresh.
(Copyright (c) 2015 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)