House goes up in flames in Douglas

DOUGLAS, Mass. (WHDH) — Firefighters extinguished a fire at a house in Douglas Monday evening.

The fire sparked at a three-story duplex on Gilboa Street and firefighters received the initial 911 call just before 4:30 p.m.

Firefighters said the trees surrounding the house and steep terrain made it difficult to get ladders up to fight the fire. A fire hydrant also lost pressure, forcing firefighters to draft water from the river.

The house sustained extensive damage before the flames were put out. Everyone inside the house was able to get out safely and no injuries were reported.

(Copyright (c) 2019 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)