A fire sparked by a hoverboard caused thousands of dollars in damage Sunday night at an apartment in the North End.
Crews arrived at 9:03 p.m. Sunday night on Hanover Street for a fire on the third floor of a four-story wood frame building. Residents from three apartments were displaced from the fire.
Stephen Passacantilli said he and his 15-year-old son were playing with the hoverboard in their living room Sunday afternoon. They then put it away in his son’s bedroom and went out to the movies. Four hours later, Passacantilli said his wife called in a panic.
"We thought someone had fallen out the window," said Passacantilli.
The Boston fire chief estimated $100,000 in damage from the fire. Officials said this is the first hoverboard fire ever in the city of Boston. The self-balancing skateboards have become popular but there are concerns that the batteries can explode or burst into flames.
No one was hurt in the fire and everyone evacuated safely.
From last nights hoverboard fire at 406 Hanover St. North End pic.twitter.com/LwI75kmUcK
— Boston Fire Dept. (@BostonFire) May 9, 2016
— Byron Barnett (@Byron_Barnett) May 9, 2016
(Copyright (c) 2016 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)