Saturday marks the 142nd running of the Kentucky Derby (on 7-NBC!), known as the Greatest Two Minutes in Sports. And the 20-horse field is one of the more competitive in recent memory.
You could pick based on the favorites or the post position, or based on the weather or track conditions, but more likely than not, you want to pick the way most people root for the Derby – based on the best horse names.
We asked the 7News sports reporters and some other personalities who they would be rooting for based entirely on the names alone. Here’s what they gave us:
Joe Amorosino, Sports Director
1. Nyquist – Because Paul Reddam is both a racehorse owner and a big Detroit Red Wings fan. He’s named horses after Red Wings players Niklas Kronwall, Tomas Tartar and Petr Mrazek in the past, but now he’s hit on his biggest find, Nyquist, after Detroit forward Gustav Nyquist.
2. Brody’s Cause – Because my friend’s dog, a handsome black lab, is named Brody
3. Trojan Nation – because I’m a big USC Women’s Lacrosse fan
Trey Daerr, Sports Reporter
1. Trojan Nation – Traveler is one of the coolest live mascots in sports. Not an SC fan myself but a big college pride fan. Trojan Nation is an ode to USC and one of the best fight songs in college football.
2. Outwork – You can’t win if you get outworked…
3. Destin – The Tripe Crown is a longshot, unless you’re a horse whose name is a play on "destiny."
Alex Corddry, Sports Reporter
1. Suddenbreakingnews – Because I’m a reporter, it hits home!
2. Destin – Because this weather and all this rain makes me wish I was in Destin, Florida, enjoying the beautiful beaches.
3. Danzing Candy – Because I have a huge sweet tooth! I also love to dance; I was a competitive dancer for 9 years and on my HS dance team. We won the Maryland State Championship my freshman year.
Jeremy Reiner, Chief Meteorologist
1. Trojan Nation – Huge fan of "Clash of the Titans" movie (1981 version).
2. Exaggerator – I’m a meteorologist! This name speaks to my profession.
3. Cherry Wine – Hmm, Perhaps I’ll sip on this instead of my Mint Juleps this weekend.
Jadiann Thompson, Anchor/Reporter
1. Suddenbreakingnews – Because I love breaking news; This horse’s name speaks to me.
2. Oscar Nominated – Because I will probably never be Oscar-nominated, I am living vicariously through the horse’s name.
3. Danzing Candy – Because I wish I knew what this tasted like!
(Copyright (c) 2016 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)