BOSTON (WHDH) - Flames tore through an apartment building in Allston early Wednesday morning and officials said the building was being operated as an illegal apartment.
The fire started just before 12:30 a.m. on Myrick Street. Firefighters said the fire was illegal and was sparked by a ceiling fan in a bathroom on the second floor.
While the building had three apartment units inside, 11 people were living there, mostly college students. Boston Inspection Services Commissioner William Christopher said the building is meant to be a two-family house and was being used as a lodging house, making its current layout illegal.
Inspectional Services will be meeting with the property’s owner Thursday about the property’s violations. No one was seriously injured in the fire, though one firefighter suffered a minor back injury.
(Copyright (c) 2018 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)