QUINCY, MASS. (WHDH) - A fire started in an underground manhole in Quincy Tuesday afternoon, causing nearby businesses to evacuate.

The fire happened in the area of 1547 Hancock St. in Quincy Center. Police diverted traffic from the area while crews respond to the incident. Electrical wires in several feet of water from Tuesday’s rainfall may have sparked the fire. No injuries were reported.

Officials said crews used a special formula called “fire ice” to put out the fire — a powder product borrowed from the Boston Fire Department.

Area businesses were evacuated as a precaution. Other businesses lost power and will be closed until Wednesday.

(Copyright (c) 2022 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox