BARNSTABLE, Mass. (AP) — The arraignment of former Massachusetts gubernatorial candidate and convenience store magnate Christy Mihos on charges of assaulting his wife has been postponed.
The Yarmouth resident was scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday in Barnstable District Court but was not present for proceedings on his lawyer's advice.
Defendants previously had been allowed to be absent from their arraignment if their attorney was present. But that rule was recently amended so they are required to attend.
The Cape Cod Times reports that the judge rescheduled the arraignment for Sept. 20.
Andrea Mihos says her husband threatened her and pushed her during an argument at their Yarmouth home in July last year.
Mihos' attorney says no assault took place and the allegations were fabricated to give Mihos' wife leverage in divorce proceedings.