The mother of a Boston firefighter was forced to jump out her window Wednesday when her Dorchester home caught fire. 

Emergency crews responded to Capen Place at 11:30 a.m. for a building fire. When crews arrived, they could see flames from a two-and-a-half story house. The fire has since been knocked down. 

Regina Robinson, 60, was trapped on the second floor as the fire broke out. Neighbor Edwin Julia made the 911 call and then helped coax the woman out of the window, helping break her fall. Her injuries are not considered life threatening. 

Robinson is the mother of Steven Perry, one of the Boston firefighters who responded to the scene. He has since gone to the hospital with his mother. Robinson’s family members expressed gratitude to Julia for his help. 

"I just want to say to him, I don’t know your name. I really appreciate what you did," said Perry. "That’s my mom. I love her to death and if it wasn’t for you, we might not have her today."

The Red Cross is working to help the six people who were displaced by the fire. Officials said the fire was caused by an electrical short circuit in a first floor bedroom. 

(Copyright (c) 2016 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox