FOXBORO, MASS. (WHDH) - New England Revolution Sporting Director and Head Coach Bruce Arena has been placed on administrative leave amid an ongoing investigation into allegations of “insensitive and inappropriate remarks,” the Revolution announced on Tuesday
The team in a statement said Major League Soccer is conducting the investigation but there was no further information about the remarks themselves.
“The organization takes any allegations of workplace misconduct extremely seriously and is working closely with the League and fully cooperating with its investigation,” the Revolution said.
Major League Soccer’s communications department also issued a statement saying Arena had been placed on leave “pending a review into allegations that he made insensitive and inappropriate remarks.”
The Athletic reported that Revolution players were told on Sunday that Arena would be away from the team for an unspecified amount of time. The reason, the Athletic reported, was not a “health-related” issue.
Arena is the winningest coach in MLS history. He was named as the Revolution’s sporting director and head coach in 2019. In addition to the MLS, he has also coached the U.S. Men’s National soccer team and spent 18 seasons coaching the University of Virginia in the NCAA.
The Revolution are currently sitting in second place in the MLS’ Eastern Conference while preparing for a knockout-stage match in the Leagues Cup on Thursday night at Gillette Stadium against Atlas Futbol Club.
This is a developing story; stay with 7NEWS on-air and online for the latest updates.
(Copyright (c) 2023 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)