NORWELL, Mass. (WHDH) – An office aide at Norwell school sprang into action Monday when a third grader started choking on a watermelon while she was on lunchroom duty.

The little boy, 8-year-old Fox Mahony, spoke about the swift save with 7News on Tuesday.

Mahony said he was sitting in the lunchroom at Cole School when a piece of watermelon became lodged in his throat. That’s when office aide Donna Higgins rushed to help him.

Although Higgins called out for the school nurse, she knew she didn’t have much time to save the little boy.

Relying on the annual training she receives in how to properly perform the Heimlich maneuver, Fox successfully dislodged the watermelon.

Fox and his family say they’re grateful that Higgins was there to help.

 

(Copyright (c) 2024 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox