BOSTON (WHDH) - City officials said that five pools won’t open this summer due to staffing shortages as well as facility issues.
According to the Boston Centers for Youth & Families (BCYF), the pools closed due to staffing shortages and/or facility issues are the Blackstone Community Center Pool in the South End, Clougherty Pool in Charlestown, the Hennigan Community Center Pool in Jamaica Plain, and the Holland and Perkins Community Center pools, both in Dorchester.
BCYF said that the city has only been able to hire just over half of the amount of lifeguards they need to be at full staffing levels but are continuing efforts to get more workers.
“We are conducting mass hiring, and are actively outreaching through many channels throughout the city to address the lifeguard shortage and reopen our pools,” the organization said in a statement.
In addition to the pools closed due to staffing/facilities issues, four pools and beaches will be closed due to construction projects, said BCYF. Those closed for renovations are the Curley Community Center beaches and pool in South Boston, the Mattahunt Community Center Pool in Mattapan, the Paris Street Community Center Pool in East Boston, and the Draper Pool in West Roxbury.
All neighborhoods with closed pools have access to another one. The city is also spreading out the full time lifeguards that they do have to all open pools to offer aquatic programs to everyone.
Pools remaining open for the summer:
- Curtis Hall Community Center Pool in Jamaica Plain
- Draper Pool in West Roxbury, the Flaherty Pool in Roslindale
- Mason Pool in Roxbury, the Charlestown Community Center Pool
- Leahy-Holloran Community Center Pool in Dorchester
- Mildred Avenue Community Center Pool in Mattapan
- Quincy Community Center Pool in Chinatown
- Mirabella outdoor Pool in the North End
- Condon Community Center Pool in South Boston
- Marshall Community Center Pool in Dorchester, once its construction is complete
(Copyright (c) 2022 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)