Officials: Electrical issue caused fatal West Newbury fire

The State Fire Marshal has determined the cause of a fatal fire in West Newbury was electrical. 

A man was killed in the large fire at a home in Tuesday. 

Officials said the fire originated in the basement of the home. The neutral wire for the electrical service had become disconnected and is the most probably cause of the fire. 

Damages are estimated at $500,000.

According to officials, the victim, an elderly man, is believed to be the homeowner, but authorities are waiting on a positive identification from the medical examiner. 

Officials said there was no evidence of working smoke alarms in the home. 

The fire broke out Tuesday morning on Meeting House Hill Road.

The roof of the home collapsed as crews worked to knock down the fire. 

Three firefighters were taken to the hospital with injuries that were not life threatening.

Neighbors said the flames were so intense they could not see firefighters go inside. 

(Copyright (c) 2016 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)