ANDOVER, MA (WHDH) - Boston Bruins legend Ray Bourque issued a statement Sunday, thanking fans for the support and asking for privacy after he was arrested on OUI charges.
Bourque was arrested Friday night in Andover after police said he was driving drunk and rear-ended a minivan.
Statement from Bourque:
“For the first time in my life, I find myself in unfamiliar territory. I am not happy about the situation I put myself into on Friday Night. I am a very proud person that accepts the responsibility of my actions and have always accepted being in the media eye. I have used this popularity to try and positively impact as many lives as possible. I am happy that no one was hurt in the accident and thank everyone who has reached out in support of my family and me. Please be patient as I go through this process and respect my family and my privacy. Thank you all for your understanding. Sincerely, Ray”
Police said an officer was called to the scene on Lowell Street at around 11:30 p.m. after getting a report of a car crash. The officer said a minivan had been rear-ended by a Mercedes SUV while going through a construction zone and Bourque was behind the wheel.
No one was injured in the crash.
Bourque was charged with OUI and following too closely. He has since been released on bail and will be arraigned in Lawrence Monday.
Bourque was drafted by the Bruins in 1979 and played 21 seasons with the team before being traded to the Colorado Avalanche in 2000.
The Bruins said they have no comment on the arrest and have no plans to release a statement.
(Copyright (c) 2018 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)