BOSTON (WHDH) - School officials are apologizing to students and parents for the delay in communication on the student shooting outside the Jeremiah E. Burke High School Tuesday morning.

Boston Police said a 17-year-old male student shot another male student at 9:30 a.m. near the school’s front doors. The school was immediately put into “safe mode,” meaning no students were allowed in or out of the building. The victim was taken to a hospital. Officers found the weapon and the 17-year-old suspect shortly after the shooting.

The district said they should have told parents what was happening faster.

“We must communicate with our families swiftly and efficiently; that did not happen as quickly as it should have today and we apologize,” Boston Public Schools Superintendent Mary Skipper said in a statement in part. “We are currently reviewing our internal systems to ensure such a lag in communication never occurs again.”

The victim’s aunt said the teen is in his senior year and his mother has been by his side in the hospital since the incident happened. She said they’re deeply upset with what happened and they want the suspect to be tried as an adult.

Police increased patrols at the school, lining the streets as Boston Mayor Michelle Wu and Skipper visited the school Wednesday.

“What happened yesterday is absolutely unacceptable but again this is a group of young people who are hard-working, brilliant and really represent the best of Boston,” Wu said.

“I’m not used to this kind of stuff, I’ve never seen or heard stuff like this happen before in school,” said student Eona Jackson, describing scenes from inside the school during the incident. “We were just in lock down – our teacher (was) kind of shaken up, she’s like ‘everybody, be quiet.’ We were just like, we have no idea what’s going on.”

Eona’s mother said it was a scary ordeal for her as well, after not initially knowing what was happening.

“This is the second time I have to get in touch with my child, telling me what is going on over here,” said Erica Jones. “No teacher’s telling me anything.”

Wu said they’re coordinating with Boston Police to make sure kids are safe.

“This set of incidents doesn’t define this community, they are incredible, I’m so proud of them,” Wu said.

The 17-year-old suspect is expected to be arraigned Wednesday in the Dorchester Juvenile Division.

(Copyright (c) 2022 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox