Officials have identified the cause of a deadly fire in North Andover over the weekend. 

Elaine Donovan, 63, was killed after a house went up in flames Saturday afternoon in North Andover.

On Monday, the state fire marshal determined the cause of the fire to be the improper use or disposal or smoking material. The fire originated on the living room couch and the victim’s clothing. 

Bill Kelley said he was outside his parents’ house on Park Street when he heard the fire alarms go off inside. Kelley ran inside and managed to rescue his mother Josephine and father Warren.

Kelley ran back into the house to rescue the third person in the house, a woman who rented the upstairs. But Kelley said he was unable to reach her.

"I ran up the back door there to try to help her too but there was too much smoke and everything," said Kelley. Firefighters tried to rescue the woman as well but she was found dead upstairs in the room where officials said the fire sparked.

Kelley’s parents were uninjured. 

(Copyright (c) 2016 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox