She’s known around the world, and now Chef Ariane Daguin is showing 7News how to make stuffed quail!
Chef Daguin is the founder and owner of D’Artagnan, the leading gourmet food purveyor of all-natural and organic meats.
ROASTED QUAIL STUFFED WITH BLACK TRUFFLE GRITS, GRAPE SAUCE
Ingredients for 4 people
— 8 ounces Truffle grits
— ½ cup Armagnac
— 1 tablespoon Duck Fat
— 1 pound seedless green grapes, stemmed and split if large
— ½ cup Duck and Veal Demi-Glaze
1. Spoon cooled grits filling into quail cavities and flatten the birds slightly. Close cavities with toothpicks and season with salt and pepper
2. Preheat oven to 400 F
3. Melt duck fat in a skillet over high heat. Add quail, half of the grapes and brown quail, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer birds to a rack in a roasting pan, breast-side up.
4. Add Armagnac and stock to skillet and cook over high heat until the liquid is slightly reduced and the grapes are soft, about 3 minutes. Transfer contents of the skillet to a blender and purée. Return sauce to skillet, add remaining grapes and cook over high heat until the sauce is reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, roast quail until just pink at the bone, about 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer quail to a platter and remove toothpicks. Add any accumulated quail juices to sauce, and pour over quail. Serve at once.
Truffle Grits with Heritage Ham
— 7 ounces cornmeal, coarse ground
— 2 containers D’Artagnan Duck and Veal Demi-Glace
— 4 cups water
— ½ pint heavy cream
— 4 tablespoons D’Artagnan Black Truffle Butter
— 6 ounces D’Artagnan Applewood Smoked Petite Heritage Ham, diced
— 2 ounces summer truffle peelings
— 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
1. Bring demi-glaze and water to boil. Then pour cornmeal into the liquid in a steady stream while whisking to avoid clumping. Reduce to light simmer, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes. Add 1/2 pint heavy cream and season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
2. In a saucepot, melt the truffle butter, then add the diced ham. Saute lightly, then add to the cornmeal mix. Stir in the truffle pieces and parsley. Taste, then season with salt and pep